This caught my eye today: the Grog and Tankard is closing/is closed. For those of you who never went there, the Grog was like the late great Ye Olde Malt Shoppe - without any of the charm (or Caleb dishing out antifreeze-laced Bud Heavy).
During my time in Glover Park, my roommates and I would occasionally wander over there. The sights included strippers off duty from JP's, pool tables not close to level, and random bands (covered in the above Post article). My favorite part about going there was when the owners tried to charge a cover - we would either start to leave and they would waive the fee or we would just wave off the request as we entered (with no objection from the owners).
That said, it was an awful, awful place. An institution. But an awful, awful place.
1 comment:
I went to the Grog and Tankard a handful of times -- and it was awful every time.
The most memorable aspect of my Grog experience was not the Grog itself but what I saw walking home from the Grog. It was a foggy night, and Scott Shoreman and I were walking home to AU from the Grog after going to see a band he liked.
As we approached the intersection of Tunlaw and New Mexico, the fog lifted to reveal a large herd of deer standing in the street and on the grass bordering Glover Archbold Park. It was surreal seeing about 15 wild deer standing in the middle of a large city.
Post a Comment