Monday, December 03, 2007

Weird

I've been mulling this over for a while now every time I see a Cadillac commercial, but isn't it a little weird that Cadillac is trying to be cool(er) these days with flashy (for lack of a better word) commercials that feature a rock song from 1994.

The only reason that I am even interested in this is that the song is by a band called Hum, which came out of Champaign in 1994. Their song, Stars (or something like that) got some fairly heavy airplay in Chicago that summer (catchy first couple lines: She thinks she missed the train to Mars/She's out back counting stars) thanks mostly to the hook that is in the commercial. Which I have to say, stands up pretty well even today.

I have their crappily produced CD that I need to turn my IPod up all the way to hear adequately when Stars comes on. Only one other decent song on there. But what is Stars doing in a Cadillac commercial?

Maybe this is what Chapin was talking about a few months back - the soundtracks of our lives being used to get us to buy things now. I'm old.

9 comments:

Brian said...

As I sit here with an ailing stomach that won't let me sleep (thank you, campylobacter bacteria picked up from daycare), I say:

1. That song was damn catchy, and I recall sitting in WVAU with Shoreman during my stint as Micah's replacement on "The Existentialist Hours", playing that song over and over. "...She's out back counting stars...cue heavy guitar riffs! Dum Dum Dum Da Da Da Da Da Da Da"

2. What was the Boston band that was really popular at about the same time with a similar sound? Oh that's right, Letters to Cleo.

3. This is exactly what I was talking about...walking through the grocery store aisles, hearing the Smashing Pumpkins (1990s edition), Pearl Jam, and what was that band that sang the song with the catchy refain, "...as I recall/we both kind of liked it/ and she said/well that's/one thing we've got..." Sunny Day Real Estate? Anyway, I heard that in the grocery store the other day, too.

Chris said...

In re #3, I believe you are talking about a song called Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't know what the band was, but it certainly wasn't Sunny Day Real Estate, which I can say with certainty - owning all their albums (even the ones after half the band helped create the original Foo Fighters) - were never that positive.

zesty said...

You two are the reason that horrible music is coming back in advertising? Thanks. Jackasses.

Brian said...

The band? Deep Blue Something.

Brian said...

Josh --

Hey, listen, Mr. Matrix Soundtrack filled with Rob Zombie and techno garbage...don't you go talkin' 'bout horrible music....

MattL said...

I'm not knowledgeable about the Matrix soundtrack, but having intimate knowledge of Chappy's music, I have to agree with Josh on this one.

Brian said...

Lewis -- for a man who listened to way too much Pantera back in the day, you shouldn't throw stones :-)

Chris said...

What came up on my IPod on the way home? Stars, by Hum. Had to keep it on even though I had to crank up my car stereo volume to hear it.

I also stopped and bought a Cadillac.

Damn you, advertisers!

MattL said...

As a man who still listens to Pantera, I stand by the eye that I behold.

And no Cadillac for me. At least not until they figure out how to work "Anarchy Burger" into the campaign.