1. It was truly a flight against all odds. Saturday afternoon, a sprawling and violent storm spanned the distance from Texas to New York. We were flying Southwest, whose notoriously lean fleet of airplanes leaves it subject to delays even in mild weather. And snow was already falling in Chicago and leading to 2.5 hr delays at O'Hare. But somehow, we landed at Midway 15 minutes early. Go figure.
2. Audrey, on only her second flight ever (the first being about a year ago), and despite having a sudden ear infection, did great...until landing. Her ears must have popped, for she began screaming like she'd been touched with a hot poker. Cherie tried to comfort her for a while, and then I grabbed her...and she promptly vomited all over me. That's twice in 4 weeks. And I'm not talking spit-up -- I'm talking VOMIT. But, as soon as we got her off the plane, she was fine.
3. I met Mr. Close last night for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. We drank beers, swapped stories, talked about our mutual victimization via corporate reorganization (more on that later), and between us scarfed down 36 wings with 3 different sauces. We eyed a nearby Golden Tee Live machine, but realized that if we began playing, we'd be out all night, hammered, reeking of cigarette smoke, and wandering in the door at 2 a.m. As attractive as that sounds, we both realized the women in our lives would kill us upon our return. So, we sobered up and departed at a reasonable hour. Growing up blows.
4. The Raven Homestead has a new location -- "Shorewood Glen", a "Del Webb/Pulte Homes Community". Cherie's mom and dad recently purchased a new home in Shorewood Glen, a "55 and over" community. It is a self-contained gated housing development for those in or approaching their "golden years". It has a club, a fitness center, an "Activities Director", and playgrounds, ball fields, and a sledding hill for the grandchildren, you name a convenience, it has it. Much like Stew Leonard's grocery store, filled with animatronic characters singing the virtues of Chiquita bananas and Poland Spring water, I can't decide whether the "all-inclusive" retirement community is a very cool thing or just a little bit evil.
5. It's cold here. Damn cold. 9 degrees cold. And windy. The dry, crystalline, wind-whipped snow has given the landscape here the appearance of a perfectly white desert. I don't think I've spent more than 5 total minutes outside in 4 days.
1 comment:
70 degrees and sunny in DFW today.
Post a Comment