Apparently, it hasn't yet dawned on the Germans that the infamously ineffectual "security questions" are in fact ineffectual. Yesterday, while checking in for our flight home from Munich, Cherie and I were asked the questions 3 separate times before boarding our flight...including one last time by two beefy women who at the last moment stepped in front of us and blocked our path to the boarding gate and wouldn't move until we'd answered the questions. This was part of a larger security process that included a separate wing of the airport for all US-bound passengers isolated from the rest of the airport, two metal detector screenings per person -- using a level of sensitivity that picked up the only metal I had on me -- the staple holding our baggage claim tickets to the boarding pass envelope-- and two wandings per person. I'm all for heightened security, but this bordered on the bizarre....
I am happy to report, though, that schnitzel still tastes as good as it did when I left Germany for the last time in 1994.
No comments:
Post a Comment