I called the phone number, and reached a recording of a female informing me that I had reached the voicemail of the name printed on the business card. I left a message giving my phone number.
Not sure what this was about, I immediately called my cousin's husband who is a detective with the Sacramento police department. (I also called Ben Maplethorpe who was, unfortunately, in bed when I called. I guess now that he's a cop, he actually goes to bed early. Sorry, Ben.) The best my cousin-in-law could offer was that it could be regarding just about anything, and to let him know what I found out.
I then turned to the one other resource I had at my disposal which would reveal if I've been tapped to provide information as part of a clearance check, or if one of my friends recently ran afoul of the law. (Not that I'm accusing anyone. But, let's be honest: if that situation were to happen, someone on this site would know of it.)
This morning, I called the number again. No response. I didn't leave a voicemail.
Around 10:15, she called me back. Let's replay that conversation, shall we?
Me: This is Josh.
Special Agent (subsequently to be to referred to as S.A.): Joshua Cheshire? This is Special Agent [REDACTED] with the California Department of Justice. Do you have a moment to speak with me?
Me: Hi. Yeah, I can talk now. How can I help you?
S.A.: You should know that I'm partnered with the F.B.I.'s Counterterrorism Unit. We received some information and would like to ask you some questions around that.
Me (wondering what you guys have gotten me into now): Okay...
S.A.: Specifically, can you tell me if you visited the city of Denver in September of 2006?
Me: It's quite possible. May I ask what, specifically, this is about?
S.A.: Would you prefer to speak in person?
Me: Yes, I would.
At least now I was 95% certain that it didn't involve any of you. But, I was in the area meeting with Focus on the Family at the time. God only knows what that crazy little enclave is up to at any point in time. (Some day, I'll have to tell you about that particularly creepy day.)
It was decided that she was coming to my office to speak with me. Now.
Imagine the buzz in the office when at 11:00 AM this morning, two members of the California Department of Justice show up flashing badges asking to speak with Joshua Cheshire.
Short version? It turns there was some sort of activity that occurred in the city of Denver the day I arrived. It happened with the same vehicle I rented the night I got in. I clearly remember this rental, as the guy who had it before me was being extremely difficult with the rental agency and refusing to return it. Now I'm just wondering if I was radiologically poisoned.
S.A.: Well, Joshua, it looks like you weren't even in town when the event occurred. We're going to follow up on your flight information, and assuming it comes out as you say it was, you'll probably never hear from us again.
2 comments:
Well, just one thing for me to say, and that's that you only have yourself to blame. Focus on the Family? Teehee. :D
For the record, I would have accepted your phone call...203-448-6908 for those of you who don't have my new CT cell phone #.
Post a Comment