Thursday, May 10, 2012

I used to work at The Chron

Liz McMillen is a nice person, and back when I used to work for The Chron that paper had some ballsy, smart journalists (other than her) calling the shots.

That pretty much came to an end when Scott Jaschik and Doug Lederman left to found insidehighered.com. Scott's a personal friend; I always thought Doug could be kind of a prick sometimes. But they both are tremendous reporters and editors who have earned a lot of my respect over the years. Between the two of them they are a wellspring of the kind of editorial courage that makes me proud to be in this business.

Now they're gone and we're left with this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304363104577391842133259230.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

It's not Liz' fault; she's just carrying the water for an editorial team and publisher who are a big bunch of whiny pussies. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't have to be there for the decline of this once-great media brand.

On the other hand, whining in print about getting "fired as a blogger" from The Chron is a little like writing a letter to the editor because the sky's the wrong shade of blue today.

2 comments:

MattL said...

Yeah, maybe it's whining, though it's made plenty of waves, at least in the right wing blogosphere. My favorite discussion, from James Taranto of the WSJ. He knows her and her husband (who, ironically, is black) personally.

I think it's the sort of thing that needs to be aired out, though not for the Chronicle iteself (because who really cares) but for the censorious nature of academia. Of course, writing about that in the WSJ is probably preaching to the choir, but hey...

MrSnyder said...

Y'aint shitting there. Color me ... bemused.