Sunday, January 31, 2010

The passing of an era/This one's for you, Josh...

Back when DVD was new and Josh and I shared a soundproofed apartment (thanks, proximity to National Airport!), I purchased the components for a home theater. Josh and I (and some of you faithful readers) spent many hours with the sound cranked up to "earth-shaking", munching bad pizza from Domino's and watching Gladiator or the Matrix or Heat or Fight Club, or some other testosterone-infused moving picture containing lots of ass-kicking, gunfire, explosions, roaring tigers, or other such manly goodness.

Today, the DVD player component of that rig, the venerable Sony DVP-S530D, finally bit the dust. It was 10 years old or more, and it finally succumbed to the infamous Sony "C 13 00" error, refusing to play discs of any kind.

So, I went to Best Buy and snagged a new Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray player, which will nicely complement the flat screen HDTV I intend to purchase in the next week or two. I'm currently back and forth between a 46"/47" LCD TV (either Samsung, Sony, or LG) or a 50"/52" plasma (same brands). Anyone have any experience with these that they'd like to share?

6 comments:

MattL said...

Gymkata!

zesty said...

Sad.

And yet, not entirely soundproof.

Manda said...

Ours just did that a couple of weeks ago! :( It took a few DVD's with it though - scratched the hell out of them. It too was over 10 years old.

Plus the OTHER player died as well. We're down to a $35 non stereo dvd player right now. Annoying.

Brian said...

Josh, am I reading your comment correctly to be a zing regarding certain sounds issuing from within the apartment?

zesty said...

Yes, yes you are. Indicating the apartment was not entirely soundproof was intended to point out that some sounds *did* emanate out from the apartment. And down the elevator shaft. And to the mail pickup location.

MattL said...

'Struth!