...BearingPoint did an exceptional job of "lowering overhead" -- lowered it right out of existence, along with the company!
All kidding aside, yes, I too was disappointed in the President's speech. Mainly I was disappointed that it came tonight and not several months ago. His references to "...the plan I'm announcing tonight....", and "Now is the season for action," left me asking, "Where the hell has this plan been for the last several months while you've left Congress to dither??? Why wasn't the season for action 3 months ago?"
I also thought President Obama lost an opportunity with people who want to support our President but who have lost faith in him to exercise some humility and state outright that he has been too passive in this effort, and that he has failed completely to articulate (before tonight) his plan for health care.
He made health care reform a top priority (leaving aside for the moment the strong argument that there were and remain many other top, and expensive, priorities), and then apparently sat idly by watching as the Congressional cockfight over health care likely ruined any chance for reforming a system that all of us agree needs fixing in several areas.
Now, here he comes, the supreme rooster, feathers shining, strutting into the fray, with his grandiose calls to action -- "...I intend to be the last," "Now is the season for action," "Now is the time to deliver," "...we will meet history's test," -- UGH.
I want to support him, but tonight's speech smacks of (well, some bad, cliched speechwriting to start) a president out of touch, who as his biggest critics contend, is a big fan of speechmaking, but not much of a fan of real, actual work.
And yeah, the quip about "profits" being bad -- to me, smacks of stupid, misplaced class warfare -- the bottom line is, the President needs the cooperation and collaboration of the private health care industry to achieve any significant reform -- and calling them out again as the bogeyman isn't going to help him.
I hope I'm wrong. He's our President -- I want to believe him and believe in him. I want for our country to make changes to our health care system that will improve it. I hope he understands that he has mismanaged this effort, that sitting back and now strutting into the fray has not been a helpful approach, and that he intends to (to use another cliche) roll up his sleeves and get down to the dirty, detailed business of working with Congress to craft useful legislation. But, I'm not optimistic.
PS, we're coming to Chicagoland again Sep 27 - Oct 2. Prepare for another visit to BWW, and to conjure up some good ideas for wagers on your predictions on the performance of my fantasy football team, 'cause 4-8-1? Them's is fightin' words.
6 comments:
When he first came into office, I tried really hard to have an open mind, and to find ways to support him. It didn't take long, however, for him to prove my pre-election assessment of him to be correct. For all of his claim to be centrist, bipartisan and post-racial, all of his past actions and associations pointed the other way.
His total misunderstanding of profits doesn't surprise me at all, though it does surprise me that it still surprises so many people. Just go back to his comments about capital gains taxes to see that he lives in a world of "Social Justice" (as defined by the left) and not the real world of supply and demand, finite resources and human nature.
We did try to be open minded and support him - really we did. Okay, he's been elected, he's our President, let's hope we were wrong about him and he'll do a good job.
Not so much.
Frankly, my wife and I didn't try to be open minded. We both think he sucks.
I apologize if my previous post came across as racist; it seems that all criticism of this president is race-based.
Oh, c'mon, Paul, between Buffalo Head, the little Jewish girl, and your love for dressing in black as the Urban Love Commando, we never doubted your credentials as a lover of people of all stripes..........Ha!
Even so, Brian, I'm sure you'll agree that if you add a few select words to what Paul said, his statement was indubitably racist.
Post a Comment