As I mentioned in my podcast with Joe, this is a tremendous year of Cubs anniversaries. The first one arrives tomorrow. 25 years ago on April 29, 1983, then-Cubs manager Lee Elia delivered one of the most famous tirades of all time. It is well-worth a listen. This is an understatement, but suffice it to say, this is NSFW.
4 comments:
"My f'in ass!!" I've never listened to that before. What a great, great meltdown. "That's the m'f'in 15% that comes out to day baseball!"
Classic!
I... Wow. Simply: wow.
The scarylarious thing is that I'm using this as a management tool right now.
Stupid higher-education.
P.S., think this guy follows in Uncle Lee's crazy footsteps?
>>> "joe weinberg" joe_weinberg@hotmail.com
Thursday, February 27, 2003 1:17:55 AM >>>
every march, for the past 20 years or so (40 or so, 60, or so, 95 or so.) i get ready for another exciting season of Chicago Cubs baseball.
and this season is no different.
actually it is, because this season, i really expect us to do well. The result will be the same, but it will be more of a disappointment than other years, and make it easier for future "at least we had a shot in 2003" seasons.
that being said, I think we are on the verge of something great--whether its a pennant or 300 dollar seats on the rooftops, its going to be something great. I've put too many miles and Old Styles into it, i've rallied too many others to this great cause. Our time is at hand. Together, we will follow the cubs to glory and then drink poison kool-aid after we win the world series and die happy.
I hope you have your tickets, your liver, and a whole lot of good old fashioned "fuck it" attitude and head down to wrigley, as they say in Chicago, "early and often". Take the L, crotch a bottle of booze from Addison liquors and get housed in the bleachers. Leave the sunscreen at home.
I myself will be there sooner than later this year, I'd hate to curse them like I did last year.
Wait, i'm confusing myself with Delino Deshields.
The Cubs need our positive attitude (as well as some infield help) to get through the season. I know it can hurt to watch "Al" Fonseca, it can be frustrating when Kyle sleeps through the national anthem, or when Kevin Orie... plays.
But keep at it, because this is bigger than us. Even bigger than Benji. So keep your TV on, buy your tickets, try to find 720 on your dial--wherever you are. Its not just for us.
Its for Santo, Beckert, Fergie, Lee "rip them motherfuckers" Elia, its for Ryno and Dawson and the Red Baron. For Shawon Dunston's "never give up" and "never take a pitch" attitude. For Mike Harkey and Lance Dickson and Jerome Walton--wherever he may be. It's for Meister Brau and Old Stlye and going 5 for 5 on NBC. Its for beating the Mets, killing the Cardinals, and taking two out of three from the Brewers (for once). Its for all the poor bastards who have died waiting for a pennant, but kept watching.
and here, exactly five years later, it's still for Harry
Hey Chicago, Whaddya Say?
Based on what I heard on the radio the other day, it seems that Ozzie Guillen took inspiration from Lee Elia.
Post a Comment