Thursday, November 02, 2006

New York, New York...

This week commenced my first official week as part of a new team permanently stationed in New York and working for New York's Finest...though, I've been working there on and off for the last few weeks while also spending time in DC wrapping up business.

NYPD headquarters, where I work, is located just northwest of the Brooklyn Bridge and the South Street Seaport. Which means that on a nice day...and 2 of the last 3 have been nice...one can grab a slice of pizza or a hot dog from a vendor, sit on a bench, and admire a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, the East River (which is not really a river but a tidal strait), and the Brooklyn and Manhattan skylines. I can't tell you how much this rules over sitting in a characterless suburban office park somewhere outside of Washington, DC. God damn, I missed working in the city!

I will say, though, that compared with the NYC subway, DC's Metro is an absolute beauty. The subway is crowded all of the time, the stations are cramped, and I'd like to ask the transit authority who had the bright idea of making the entry and exit aisles the same?! It doesn't make for the most efficient flow of humanity.

I also had lunch with Mr. Matt Geller, attorney at law. He is doing quite well and was full of entertaining stories of miscreants and mishaps at the Fire Department. I look forward to hanging out with Geller more often now that we're in the same geographic region.

Finally, Audrey had her latest "well baby" check this afternoon, and she passed with flying colors. She's now something like 75th percentile for weight and 90th percentile for height. The respective figures 4 weeks ago were 25th and 50th, so this is a huge improvement.

Pics can be found at http://audrey.phanfare.com. I updated it last night, so you can check out Halloween at Casa de Chapin, and other such fine events..............

1 comment:

zesty said...

Only 75th and 90th percentiles? I guess that's conclusive then: she's not really Lewis'.