Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Epic Windows Phone Failure...

For the last several months, I've been using the employer-issued (Sprint) HTC Touch Pro 2 "smartphone". Mostly, I've enjoyed it. Oh sure, the HTC "Touch Flo 3d" touchscreen software is a bit quirky, and it's a Windows phone, which means it has had its share of random system crashes; and sometimes the phone has slipped into "Airplane" mode (no active phone/data connections) all by itself, leaving me to miss several hours of phone calls without knowing it -- but the screen is large, the phone is durable (it has endured a few drops here and there), it has a nice slide-out keyboard, and it has performed various business functions without much incident.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday, the phone, while sitting on my desk, suddenly crapped itself. I got a series of "We're sorry" notifications from Windows as several executables stopped working -- cprog.exe, services.exe, device.exe, opera9.exe all stopped working in succession. Then, ActiveSync stopped working (last sync at 10:03 a.m. yesterday; none since). Then the phone became incredibly sluggish, often taking over a minute (and sometimes several minutes) to respond to the pressing of physical and virtual buttons. Then, I could no longer initiate phone calls -- I could only receive them.

I tried a succession of potential fixes -- I powered down; I tried a soft reset; I tried removing the battery. I left it off for several hours, then powered it back on, only to be told that the phone had tried and failed to complete the "Hands Free Activation" -- this on a phone I'd activated with Sprint several months ago.

So, a replacement phone is on the way. Sprint's policy is to reissue a new phone of the same make and model. I probably could have traded up to the newest, latest, greatest phone, but I just wasn't in the mood to push the poor customer service guy, who was otherwise quite helpful and friendly to boot..

So, here's hoping this one doesn't melt down!

No comments: