...I biked 8 miles, and Cherie and I took the kids to Camden Yards to see the Red Sox put a whooping on the Orioles -- which they did, 18-10, to sweep the 3-game series. It was Audrey's second Red Sox game, after a game at Fenway last year with my brother. It was Edziu's first game ever. And damn, if both kids didn't act like saints for 3+ hours. My son sat quietly, watching the game, and Audrey cheered for Big Papi and munched on chocolate ice cream with sprinkles to battle the heat :-) And, after torrential rain in the morning, we found Camden under blue skies and sunshine.
I could not have asked for a better way to conclude the weekend. Now, 5 more business days to vacation.
It cannot come soon enough. I am ready to strangle my clients with my bare hands. I need a few days unplugged from my laptop and Blackberry. Paul, you need a Whataburger real estate scout for the mid-atlantic?
Why aren't there any Whataburgers here in the DC area, Paul? There are so many transplants from Texas and the rest of the South here, I bet Whataburger would kill. DC is dying for a non-McDonald's/BK burger joint besides 5 Guys -- its burgers are so greasy you can only eat there twice a year without inducing a heart attack or stroke.
And riddle me this -- why aren't there any Sonics closer to the DC metro area than Fredericksburg and Winchester? I mean honestly, if Sonic can open a franchise in Binghamton, where it's only warm enough for drive-up service 3 months out of the year, Sonic could make a killing in northern Virginia!
2 comments:
Did you explain to your kids about Big Papi being a giant cheater and that the Colorado Rockies are the rightful 2007 World Series champions? ;)
Damn you, Spuhler. I was trying really hard to not let the news about Papi (and his current stellar .226 batting average) get me down. And then you had to bring it up :-)
Actually, to tell you the truth, I do feel very viscerally that the news about Papi (and Manny) takes a bit of the happiness out of the memories of 2004. I was so, so jazzed when the Sox won -- I danced on the bar at Scotland Yard in downtown DC, which had turned into a Sox bar, then flew up to Boston still high on life, and went to the victory parade, and I freaking LOVED it. Now, as I look back, I feel like that memory is just a little bit tarnished.
I think it has a lot to do with how "clutch" Papi seemed during the 2004 season and playoffs -- over and over and over, he seemed to come up with walkoff hits, game-winning rbi, or other decisive hits just when the Red Sox needed them. Now I have to officially wonder -- was he clutch, or just 'roided up? And it sucks to have to think about that.
Post a Comment