Saturday, March 29, 2008

Freeeeeedoommmmmmm!

Since October, I've been working on a project unlike any other I've ever worked on in my professional career. It focused on one of the most important basic services -- emergency response -- that any city/state/federal level government can perform. Yet, it was also the most dysfunctional, awful project I've EVER worked on.

Not until this particular project did I ever feel a degree of misery about going to work on a daily basis. But on this project, I HATED going to work. Quite literally, I was stuck between multiple warring parties who all used my presence, and the presence of our team, as a proxy for their fights. The cops hate the firefighters, the firefighters hate the cops, they both hate the executive branch leader, the executive branch leader hates each of them, they're all stuck together working on this initiative, and they all use us to fight battles against each other.

Every day, we were screamed at, stabbed in the back, lied to, lied about, accused of every type of improper behavior one can think of, threatened, and spied on.

Yesterday, I escaped. I'm off that project and on to another. I've never felt so happy to leave a client environment. I actually skipped out of the building I was so damn happy to leave and NEVER, EVER, EVER come back.

Then, I enjoyed a few drinks here. I highly recommend it if you're ever in town.

No comments: