Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The first rule...

Fight club draws techies for bloody underground beatdowns

How can these guys mess up the first rule so horribly?

"Real-life fight clubs are the male version of the girls who cut themselves," he said. "All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty.

"They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real."

I don't know if it's the same as chicks cutting themselves. I can say that delivering and receiving a beating (though we take care to avoid injuries like broken bones and don't strike to the head) can be good fun, and a good release of stress.

My BS alarm starts ringing when people talk about "feel[ing] something real." Seriously, WFT is that all about?

1 comment:

Brian said...

When I was in sixth grade, Timmy Gulbicky, a fat, annoying, bullying toad, made my younger brother his favorite target. Jeff was small then, so he couldn't defend himself.

When Jeff came home roughed up several times, I didn't talk to Timmy about how if only he would stop watching violent cartoons and movies, and stop playing violent video games, he'd be more well-adjusted.

I PUNCHED HIM IN THE MOUTH. Then I held his face against a brick wall and told him that if he didn't leave Jeff alone, Timmy's face would meet the brick wall again, but harder. Jeff never got bullied again.

We should not repudiate the baser side of our evolutionary nature -- it can, properly applied, serve us very well. Some cretins only understand violence, and they should have violence done to them. It doesn't matter whether it's Timmy Gulbicky or Kim Jong-Il.But as Amanda says, we are emasculated, and weaker for it.